Dr. Sue Anne Sheya is a classically trained flutist who became a professional musician at the age of 18 in Salt Lake City, Utah where she gained wide experience as an orchestral and chamber player. She joined the Musician's Union as a teenager and since then has been a free-lance flutist in a variety of genres. Her career started by playing in show orchestras for the Ice Capades and the Ice Follies.
She won the Utah State Senior Winds and Brass Competition at 20 years of age and received a music scholarship to the University of Utah. She also won second place at the Snowbird Summer Arts Festival Music Academy where she was honored with a lesson with the late, great Julius Baker. Sue has studied with Jane Wadsworth, Erich Graf, and Susan Goodfellow and in masterclasses with Julius Baker, James Galway, and William Bennett.
Sue has performed for dignitaries such as George W. Bush and legendary entertainers such as Gene Kelly. Her versatility as a musician is showcased through her performances with groups as varied as:
- Renaissance music on recorder and kortholt – The Terpsichore Musicians
- Classical (principal flutist with the Camellia Symphony Orchestra, Sacramento, CA, the Ballet West Orchestra, the Utah Chamber Orchestra, Pro Musica, Windenbow, Baroque 'n' Strings, Salt Lake Symphony Orchestra
- Pops music – The Utah Philharmonic Orchestra
- Musical theater – Woodland Opera Company, Davis Musical Theater Company, Pioneer Theater Company, traveling Broadway shows
- Jazz, folk and blues – The Joe Muscolino Band, Mike Justis Band
- Mid-Eastern and North African music – Kairo by Night
Sue has joined forces with guitarists Elizabeth Busch, Michael Lucarelli, Milt Jensen, Todd Woodbury, and Tully Cathey in duos. She has extensive recording experience including CD and TV and movie scores and has recorded at the Osmond Studios, L.A. East Studios, and for Lex de Azevedo and Kurt Bestor.
She recently has appeared on Good Day Sacramento and as part of the Music at Noon Concert Series in Sacramento, CA. She performs frequently at weddings, parties, wineries and social events.
She delights in playing and performing, whether the event is a casual gig or a formal concert. She now makes her home in Davis, CA with her husband and teenage son, where she continues to be inspired in her performing and teaching career.